Copycat Healthy Egg McMuffin
Start your day off with a healthier version of an American Classic! These Copycat Healthy Egg McMuffins are made with “egg buns” and homemade breakfast sausage.
We have been absolutely LOVING the conversations in our HGC Facebook group and on Instagram, tagging us in your meal prep images, supportive comments and important questions. It’s so important for us to create a #HGCcommunity that is a safe place for conversation and connection to help you live a healthier, more balanced life. Our favorite comment so far has been from a follower who purchased the Reset after struggling with disordered eating for years. Here’s what she said:
“The recipes are satisfying and nutritious and I love that there is no pressure. Where as before, I felt like if I wanted a dessert, I had to not eat something throughout the day to compensate. Not with this plan! I love how there is no good or bad or right or wrong foods. It takes all that pressure off. Thank you!”
This makes us so happy. We hope you’re loving this plan, as it’s something we truly believe in, which brings us to this recipe! These Copycat Healthy Egg McMuffins might look fancy or complicated, but as long as you have a few mason jar tops, you’ll be all set. After baking the homemade chicken sausage, you cook the eggs in a pan for just 3 – 5 minutes and then assemble your sandwich. It’s packed with flavor, lean protein and vegetables – the perfect way to stay the day!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1½ tablespoons dried fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ medium white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 12 large eggs
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1 ounce arugula
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and rub a baking sheet with avocado oil.
- Place all ingredients for chicken sausage into a bowl. Mix well.
- Divide meat mixture into six equal balls. Mold each ball into a patty (around ½ an inch thick) and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake patties for 17-20 minutes, flipping at 10 minutes.
- While patties are in the oven, prepare your egg patties by heating a small skillet over medium/high heat.
- In a separate bowl, crack two eggs into a bowl and gently whisk.
- Next, place two large mason jar tops (about 3.5 inches - we are using these as molds) into the skillet and pour egg mixture evenly into the two mason jar tops. Pour water on the outside of the mason jar tops (fill until the water reaches about halfway up the mason jar lids). Cover the skillet and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Uncover, remove from heat, and remove egg from mason jar tops. This is one serving of egg, so repeat until you’ve made your desired amount of servings. Set eggs aside.
- When sausage is done, place one sausage, one tomato slice, and a handful of arugula on top of one egg patty. Place other egg patty on the top of arugula. Enjoy!
The HGG Reset is exactly how we eat when we want to feel our best. It’s a four week focus on nourishing your body with foods that work in your favor, while stripping back what weighs you down. There aren’t any “yes/no” lists, but we’ve intentionally designed this program to help you establish a new, sustainable eating pattern with healthy, satisfying food that tastes as good as it makes you feel! Still need your copy? Grab it here.
Sign up to receive our FREE Top 10 Meal Prep Recipe Bundle and get cooking.