Breakfast Stuffed Peppers with Chicken Sausage and Kale
Start your day off right with these Breakfast Stuffed Peppers. They are protein and veggie packed and are sure to keep you satisfied until your mid-morning snack!
We are back with another Healthy Glow Guide Summer Meal Plan recipe preview. This time, we’re all about that breakfast! Because the majority of the recipes in this meal plan are brand new, we thought we would focus on high protein, veggie-packed, lower-carb meals for breakfast. At HGC, we are firm believers that how you start your day matters! It sets the tone for the rest of your day and sets you up for success in whatever you are doing.
These stuffed peppers are made with scrambled eggs, sautéed kale, breakfast chicken sausage, and a little cheese to get you all that good stuff your body craves in the morning! The best part is? They are freezer friendly! That means you could make a double batch, freeze them up, and have breakfast ready to go for the next couple of weeks. Winning.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 chicken breakfast sausage links (cooked or uncooked), diced
- 2 cups kale, chopped and deboned
- 3 large bell peppers, halved (any color)
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese (or parmesan cheese)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a large casserole dish with tinfoil. Then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare peppers by slicing in half hot dog style and removing the insides. Spray outside and inside with nonstick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in casserole dish.
- Whisk 6 large eggs in a small bowl, set aside.
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to a large sauce pan and heat to medium/high heat. Then, add in onion, sausage and kale. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add veggie/sausage mixture to the pepper halves. Then, top with scrambled eggs.
- Bake at 350ºF for 40-50 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. Remove from oven and sprinkle on a tablespoon of cheddar cheese to each pepper. Bake for a few more minutes to melt cheese.
*To freeze, make sure that your peppers have fully cooled. Then, cover in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe ziploc bag for later. Will stay for up to one month.
If you like this recipe, don’t hesitate to purchase the BRAND NEW Healthy Glow Guide Summer Meal Plan (or any of our bundles!) because there are plenty of more healthy delicious recipes in the guide waiting for you!
Don’t forget to join our FB group where we share recipe inspiration, ask questions and support each other through our healthy journeys.
Sign up to receive our FREE Top 10 Meal Prep Recipe Bundle and get cooking.